When we began we had all of our fruit trees in pots, thinking that this yard was too small for 'normal' fruit trees.
However continued research on blogs, websites and books has shown us that we can fit far more trees into the space that we have, we just need to manage them.
When we moved the Apple Trees they settled in quickly into the no- dig garden out the back, though only produced one apple between them.
So we decided to try and increase production, reduce wasted space and cover an ugly fence, all at the same time by esapliering the trees.
We are beginners at all of this, so may not have done it correctly, however they seem to have grown rapidly since we actually attached them to the wire, so fingers crossed we will have an apple each next season.